"It is books that are a key to the wide world; if you can't do anything else, read all that you can."
- Deadly violence in Gaza and Israel Mon, 28 Jul 2014 19:36:18 GMT
- Gaza and southern Israel see an upsurge in violence despite a plea by the UN secretary general for a cessation of hostilities.
- MH17 jet 'downed by shrapnel' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 20:47:42 GMT
- Security officials in Ukraine say the Malaysia Airlines jet downed in eastern Ukraine suffered an explosive loss of pressure caused by missile shrapnel.
- Tripoli fuel fire 'out of control' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:12:03 GMT
- A second fuel tank at Libya's biggest fuel storage facility is in flames as the government requests international assistance to contain the huge blaze.
- LA Clippers sale 'can go ahead' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 22:22:00 GMT
- A US judge rules that the LA Clippers basketball team can be sold, despite the objections of banned co-owner Donald Sterling.
- Russia plans $50bn Yukos appeal Mon, 28 Jul 2014 18:54:12 GMT
- Russia will appeal against a court decision ordering it to pay the biggest compensation package to date, amounting to $50bn (£29.5bn) in damages.
- AH5017 pilots 'asked to turn back' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 17:29:31 GMT
- French foreign minister reveals that the pilots of Air Algerie flight AH5017 requested to return to Burkina Faso after hitting bad weather.
- Qatar 2022 'dismay' at workers' pay Mon, 28 Jul 2014 20:25:11 GMT
- Organisers of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar say they are "heavily dismayed" by claims that migrants who worked on their offices are still waiting to be paid.
- Ferry students 'floated from cabins' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:19:55 GMT
- Students who survived South Korea's ferry disaster describe how they floated out of flooded cabins, as the trial of the crew continues.
- Nigerian state bans cars during Eid Mon, 28 Jul 2014 13:42:28 GMT
- Vehicles in Nigeria's north-eastern Borno state are banned for three days during Eid festivities because of fears of a Boko Haram attack.
- Liberia shuts borders to curb Ebola Mon, 28 Jul 2014 14:40:50 GMT
- Most border crossings in Liberia are closed and communities hit by an Ebola outbreak face quarantine to stop the virus spreading.
- Beauty spots still at fracking 'risk' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 18:15:09 GMT
- Government guidance that fracking licences can only be issued for beauty spots in "exceptional circumstances" receives a mixed response from campaigners.
- VIDEO: Dog friendly buses in Hong Kong Sun, 27 Jul 2014 23:58:10 GMT
- A new bus service has been launched in Hong Kong for pet lovers.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Mon, 28 Jul 2014 20:43:03 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Quick-thinking mother saves baby Sun, 27 Jul 2014 07:33:56 GMT
- A woman and her baby had a lucky escape, when they narrowly avoided being involved in a car accident in San Francisco.
- VIDEO: Syria's ancient heritage under fire Sun, 27 Jul 2014 07:48:36 GMT
- UNESCO has established an observatory in Lebanon aimed at preventing Syria's artefacts being smuggled into neighbouring countries.