"When I get a little money, I buy books. And if there is any left over, I buy food."
—Deciderius Erasmus (1466?-1536) Dutch Renaissance scholar, theologian
- Anger erupts over Korea ferry rescue Sun, 20 Apr 2014 05:09:14 GMT
- Families of passengers on a sunken South Korean ferry protest angrily over the rescue operation, scuffling with police on Jindo island.
- Easter messages show Ukraine divide Sun, 20 Apr 2014 05:55:37 GMT
- Orthodox Easter messages from patriarchs in Kiev and Moscow reflect Ukraine's deep divide, as a tense stand-off continues in the east.
- UN envoy and Israel in Easter row Sun, 20 Apr 2014 00:08:38 GMT
- The UN envoy to the Middle East accuses Israel of blocking his way to an Easter ceremony in Jerusalem, as Israel questions his judgement.
- French hostages home from Syria Sun, 20 Apr 2014 05:58:11 GMT
- Four French journalists released after 10 months in captivity in Syria arrive back in France, AFP reports.
- Easter deaths spark Brazil protests Sun, 20 Apr 2014 00:43:20 GMT
- Residents of a poor community near Rio de Janeiro torch vehicles in protest at the deaths of two young men in incidents involving the police.
- Japan to base troops near Senkakus Sat, 19 Apr 2014 21:29:15 GMT
- Japan begins building a military radar station near the Senkaku islands, focus of a bitter territorial row with China, which calls them the Diaoyus.
- William and Kate at Easter service Sun, 20 Apr 2014 04:27:39 GMT
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attend an Easter Sunday church service in Sydney as part of their tour of Australia and New Zealand.
- Iran condemns US skyscraper seizure Sat, 19 Apr 2014 22:05:03 GMT
- Iran condemns a decision by the US to seize a Manhattan high-rise belonging to a charitable foundation and sell proceeds to victims of attacks by Iran-backed militants.
- Pakistan TV anchor shot in attack Sat, 19 Apr 2014 15:32:17 GMT
- Hamid Mir, one of Pakistan's best known television presenters, is injured in an attack by unidentified gunmen in the southern city of Karachi.
- 'Dozens die' in S Sudan cattle raid Sat, 19 Apr 2014 21:37:15 GMT
- Dozens of people are killed in a cattle raid in a remote herders' camp in South Sudan's northern Warrap state, local officials say.
- Plane search at 'critical juncture' Sat, 19 Apr 2014 07:37:18 GMT
- The search area for the missing Malaysian plane has narrowed and will be at "a critical juncture" in the next two days, says the transport minister.
- Colombia to honour Garcia Marquez Sat, 19 Apr 2014 20:41:56 GMT
- Colombia announces its own ceremony to honour author Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who was cremated in Mexico, where he lived for more than 30 years.
- VIDEO: Prominent Pakistan journalist shot Sat, 19 Apr 2014 21:36:54 GMT
- Hamid Mir, one of Pakistan's most prominent television personalities, has been shot and wounded in the city of Karachi.
- VIDEO: 'Luckily we couldn't see the lions' Sat, 19 Apr 2014 21:30:17 GMT
- A driver has been talking about the moment her car caught fire - while in the middle of the lion enclosure at Longleat Safari Park.
- VIDEO: Kate tries out fighter jet in Australia Sat, 19 Apr 2014 06:47:28 GMT
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit an air base in Queensland on day four of their tour of Australia.